Monday, March 30, 2009

Why I Garden, Part One of Many

I remember picking a sweet pepper last summer. Big and heavy - much larger than my palm. It had shiny polished skin a dark emerald color with some patchy chocolate brown. I carried it up to the house and it was warm in my hand, warm from the sun.

I got out my favorite old knife, the one with the worn wooden handle, the one that has been sharpened so many times that the blade has taken on a new shape. The pepper was firm and crispy when I cut into it and made the most delightful crunchy sound - a sound to make your mouth water.

But the coolest part, the reason I remember this, is that when I cut the pepper it was juicy. It actually leaked water - about 1/8 cup. I picked up one of the halves and there was this amazing clear pepper juice inside it. It tasted like sweet pepper tea.

Now I've cut up a lot of store bought peppers - you have too I bet. But never one fresh enough, or rich enough, or pure enough to be juicy. That's why I garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment